MHI Health Informatics #master #in #health #informatics
MHI Health Informatics
Program Director: Julia Zarb
MHI Program Brochure 2016 [PDF]
Health informatics at IHPME is offered via the MHI professional program and as a concentration within the Health Services Research (HSR ) program. Emily Seto is the Academic Director for MHI and Health Informatics Research Lead for the HSR program.
MHI is ideal for emerging early to mid-career candidates from healthcare, business, and technology backgrounds.
- 16-month full-time program combines expertise in health systems with applied knowledge in information and communication technologies.
- Four-month professional practicum placement provides experiential learning under the mentorship of leading health informaticians within government, health service provider organizations and the private sector.
The Executive Master of Health Informatics (EMHI) program stream is designed for mid- to senior career candidates with clinical, business and technology-related healthcare backgrounds. This program option enables students to continue professional employment, sustaining career momentum, while gaining specialized health informatics knowledge.
- 22-month modular format; involves an employer-based project.
- Developed for individuals who are already established in healthcare and health informatics-related roles, and who require a relevant graduate credential to move forward in their careers.
Welcome to Health Informatics
To stay on the vanguard of the changing health informatics field, MHI faculty include cross-appointed individuals from the Faculty of Information (iSchool) at University of Toronto, as well as dozens of adjunct faculty drawn from senior healthcare leadership roles.
MHI graduates are ready to lead organizational and health system change with unique abilities to integrate clinical expertise with information and communication technologies.
With an outstanding post-graduation employment rate in health informatics and related roles, MHI graduates emerge as solution architects building professional careers with the necessary clinical, technical and leadership skills to bridge knowledge and cultural gaps in the clinical and healthcare delivery sectors.
- IHPME and iSchool faculty members are national and international experts in health systems and information technology.
- Students participate in problem-based learning via lectures, seminars, case studies, computer labs and on-line learning.
- Outstanding career prospects with lower tuition than an MBA and many other professional graduate degrees.
MHI delivers a comprehensive, interdisciplinary curriculum that provides a solid foundation in key health informatics competencies, including: health and clinical systems and policy; health information processing; information and communication technologies in e-health; measurement, decision analysis, decision support and evaluation; project management; knowledge management and change management.
Students in the MHI program come from a variety of early to established career stage backgrounds that reflect the broad scope of the healthcare sector
- Health sciences physicians, nurses, lab technicians, radiologists, social workers, or other allied health professionals.
- Health administration Health Services Professionals and Administrators.
- Computer and information sciences and technology computer science specialists, health related software vendors and developers, engineers, and information technologists.
- Business system analysts from the public and private sectors.
Applicants without this experience may also be eligible for the MHI program. If you have questions about the applicability of your experience and/or suitability for the program, we would be happy to speak with you.
Consultations with program faculty can also be arranged.
Practicum placements get top marks from industry.
Learn about our practicum experiences and how to host a student. Read more
MHI students build competencies and expect strong career outcomes.
Meet our Alumna
Our IHPME Community
Video vignettes of IHPME faculty, students and alumni.